Skip to main content | (360) 753-7800
917 Lakeridge Way SW | Olympia, WA 98502

WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid)

Welcome to the new WASFA! 
Looking for You're in the right place! Please update your bookmarks and links to this address:

Concerned about privacy? Read the WASFA privacy statement.

State Financial Aid for Undocumented Students and Other Select Applicants

The Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) is for people who don’t file a federal FAFSA application. People who complete a WASFA are applying for state aid. There are various reasons to complete a WASFA instead of a FAFSA:

  • Immigration status, or student is undocumented
  • Undocumented parents or family members do not wish to file a FAFSA
  • Defaulted federal loans
  • Repayments owed on federal grants
  • Inability to provide selective service confirmation

To find out if you qualify, complete the free WASFA to apply for state financial aid. Your college or program will let you know if you meet state financial aid requirements after they review your WASFA.


2021-22 WASFA Application Open Now – 2022-23 WASFA Opens on October 1st

Which WASFA application year should I fill out?

  • Complete the 2021-22 WASFA application if you are planning on being enrolled in college (as a new student or continuing student) in fall term 2021 through spring term 2022.
  • Complete the 2022-23 WASFA if you are planning on being enrolled in college in fall term 2022 through spring term 2023. The 2022-23 application will become available on October 1, 2021.
  • Planning on taking courses in the summer? Please check with the college you will be attending to confirm which application you need to complete if you are enrolling in summer sessions.

New User

  • Complete a WASFA for the first time
  • Eligibility questionnaire

New User: Learn More - Start a New WASFA

Returning User

  • Make a correction/Add a school
  • Submit an application for a new year

Info & Log-In

Are you a WASFA resident student?

Students must be Washington residents to pay in-state tuition or get state financial aid. Both U.S. citizens and non-citizens can be Washington residents, including undocumented students.

In most cases, a Washington resident is someone who lives in the state for one year immediately prior to starting their college or program. But there are other ways to be a resident. Learn more on WSAC’s Student Residency web page.

Application Resources

  • WASFA Application Guide (under construction)

Questions? Contact the Washington Student Achievement Council by email at, or call 888-535-0747 and select option 2.

WASFA Privacy Statement

The Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) administers state financial aid including the Washington College Grant, the College Bound Scholarship, and the Washington Application for State Financial Aid, or WASFA, for undocumented individuals. The Council is committed to providing opportunities and support to ensure every Washington student is able to pursue education beyond high school.

Regarding concerns that students, parents, and other partners may have about the confidentiality of information submitted on the WASFA, the purpose of the application is to provide eligibility information to colleges and universities in Washington that offer the Washington College Grant and the College Bound Scholarship. WSAC shares application information with campuses listed by the student so those schools may determine eligibility for resident tuition and financial aid. Campuses are not permitted to use the information for other purposes or share the data with other parties.

WSAC is committed to protecting the confidentiality of the information and privacy of students and families. Washington is a state committed to providing opportunities to students and protecting the rights of families.