Approval of Veterans' Programs
The Washington Student Achievement Council’s State Approving Agency (SAA)
The State Approving Agency (SAA) is responsible for the review, evaluation, approval, and oversight of schools and training facilities to ensure state and federal quality criteria are met for veterans using their G.I. Bill® funds. SAAs are advocates for quality and diverse education and training opportunities. SAAs also assist the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs’ (VA) in preventing fraud, waste, and abuse in the administration of the G.I. Bill®.
The SAA evaluates and approves specific educational programs at the following for use of veterans’ education and training benefits:
- Public and private baccalaureate degree-granting institutions
- Flight schools
- Apprenticeship sites
- On-the-job training (OJT) sites
Our goal is to ensure these programs meet minimum quality standards and comply with all federal and state laws and regulations. Additional responsibilities include:
- Conducting on-site compliance visits to educational institutions and training organizations with approved programs of study.
- Providing technical assistance with applications for approval.
- Providing information about training and education opportunities to veterans, military base personnel, employers, and labor groups.
- Serving as a liaison between Washington veterans and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
The WSAC/SAA works in collaboration with state and national partners to:
- Promote and safeguard quality education and training programs for veterans.
- Ensure greater educational training opportunities to meet the changing needs of veterans.
- Assist the VA in preventing fraud, waste, and abuse in the administration of the GI Bill®.
- Note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
The WSAC/SAA is funded under contract from the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA).
Approval of non-degree programs at private trade schools and career colleges is the responsibility of the Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board.