Apprenticeship Program Providers
Washington College Grant for Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship program providers can offer their apprentices financial aid similar to what college students can receive.
Washington College Grant for Apprenticeship (WCG-A) supports income-eligible apprentices enrolled in approved registered apprenticeship programs. The grant can cover tuition, fees, and materials.
What is the process for sponsors to participate in WCG-A?
1. Sponsors must be registered with the Washington State Apprenticeship & Training Council (WSATC). Sponsors must be approved by WSATC and cannot be in probationary status.
2. Sponsors must then apply to the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) in order to participate in WCG-A.
- WSAC staff review initial application materials. This includes:
- Questions or requests for more information
- Contact with Labor & Industries
- Possible review of independent Washington certified public accounts
- WSAC further evaluates and trains the sponsor. This may include:
- Site visits
- Review of sponsor’s policies and procedures
- Discussion of program mechanics
- Training for awards processing
- Verification of administrative capabilities
3. Once approved, sponsors may offer WCG-A to eligible apprentices.
- Apprentice submits application to sponsor: Sponsor reviews the apprentice’s financial information to determine eligibility.
- Sponsor distribute funds: WSAC pays participating programs. Sponsors then pay apprentices.
What is the “administrative capability” that participating providers must demonstrate?
At a minimum, providers must be able to:
- Promote, collect, and review financial aid applications.
- Make awards.
- Maintain separation of duties in determining eligibility.
- Determine program costs relevant to WCG-A, such as instructional costs/tuition, equipment, and supplies.
- Request payment via an online portal.
- Manage repayments.
- Meet reporting requirements.
- Ensure policies regarding records retention and Personal Identifiable Information (PII) are in compliance with WSAC standards.