Skip to main content | (360) 753-7800

Apply for Financial Aid

Improvements are coming to financial aid applications this year. Due to these changes, the 2024-25 FAFSA and WASFA will become available in December 2023.
• Applications usually open October 1, and will again in future years.
• Can't wait to get started? Consider setting up your FAFSA or WASFA account—make sure to save your login and password.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Washington College Grant (WA Grant) gives more money to more people for more types of education and training beyond high school. Complete a financial aid application to find out how much money may be available to you. 

In Washington, there are two different applications for financial aid, but you only need to complete one:

  • Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) if you are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Complete the WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid) if you are not eligible to complete the FAFSA due to immigration status, defaulted federal loans, or other issues with federal aid. Learn more and apply on the WASFA page.


When should I apply?

It’s never too early to plan ahead or too late to apply. Financial aid applications for the current 2023-24 academic year are available now. The 2024-25 WASFA will open at the same time as the 2024-25 FAFSA, currently projected for December 2023.

You do not need to know whether or where you plan to go to school or what programs you might be interested in to apply for financial aid. 

Some colleges may have additional financial aid forms for you to complete. Check their website or contact their financial aid office to find out. Once you are admitted, talk to each college's financial aid office to ensure your application information is received accurately and on time.

Who can help me apply for financial aid?

Not sure how to get started with your financial aid application? Talk to someone you can trust:

  • The 12th Year Campaign hosts virtual financial aid info and filing events to help students and families apply for college and financial aid.
  • Are you a high school student? Your counselor can answer questions and direct you to resources.
  • Talk to the financial aid office at any colleges you're interested in attending. Whether you're an adult thinking about going back to school or a high school student considering your options, financial aid staff can help you navigate the process based on your circumstances.

Think you don't qualify for financial aid? Think again.

Washington College Grant gives more money to more people

WA Grant is one of the most generous financial aid programs in the country. Recent high school graduates and working-age adults from many low- and middle-income families can qualify to receive free money toward career training, college, and apprenticeships. Learn more about WA Grant.

Estimate your award with the financial aid calculator

Students and families can use the financial aid calculator to estimate potential financial aid. There are many sources of money and kinds of aid available to continue your education—the only way to know for sure if you qualify is to complete a financial aid application.

Are you a Washington resident student? 

Washington resident students are eligible to pay in-state tuition and get state financial aid. Both U.S. citizens and non-citizens, including undocumented students, can be Washington residents. In most cases, a Washington resident is a person who lives in the state for one year immediately before starting a college or program and has a high school diploma (or equivalent). Learn more about what it takes to be considered a Washington resident on WSAC's Student Residency web page.

Have your circumstances changed?

If someone in your family has lost a job or is working less, colleges may be able to provide more financial aid. Learn more about how to request changes to financial aid if your circumstances have changed.