National Guard Postsecondary Education Grant
Applications for the 2020-21 academic year closed on June 1, 2021. Applications for 2021-22 academic year opened on June 15, 2021.
The National Guard Grant helps eligible, actively participating members of the Washington National Guard get an undergraduate degree or certificate. The program provides education opportunities to qualified service members and serves as an incentive to extend their National Guard service.
Participants commit to serving one year in the Washington National Guard in exchange for each year of grant funding. Combined with state and federal aid, grants can cover tuition and fees at approved colleges in Washington, as well as a portion of books and materials.
Those interested are encouraged to reach out to their education office or recruiter for more information on good standing with the Washington National Guard. The Washington National Guard may select applicants to meet certain recruitment needs.
The current grant was created in 2020, replacing a prior scholarship for Guard members.
About the Program
Participants must meet the following requirements:
- Be an active drilling member in good standing of the Washington National Guard.
- Have completed the current year’s FAFSA or WASFA financial aid application.
- Not have previously completed a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Attend an accredited higher education institution in Washington State, or a Washington institution that provides training under the Montgomery GI Bill®.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Participants must fulfill the following obligations:
- Serve one year in the National Guard for each year of Washington National Guard Grant funding received. Service begins after the last day of the final term of the academic year for which funds are received.
- Maintain good standing as a member of the Washington National Guard.
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress in the degree or certificate program where enrolled.
How to Apply
How to Apply
The application is open year-round.